Tuesday, April 29, 2014

FOR THE LOVE OF CUTOUTS

Recently, I began making paper cutouts again. I made a series of work using cut paper figures back in 2012. I went back to straight 2D painting for a year or so after that, but now I am back at it. For me, the process of making cutouts is much more tactile and exploratory that painting. It allows me to experiment with new materials and forces me to problem solve more actively. Each cutout has it's own evolution, and it's this organic engagement with the materials that I am really enjoying right now. 

The works in progress...





A couple of the pieces I did in 2012...





(click image to see larger)
Bereaved #3
tissue paper, gouache, graphite & enamel on paper (mounted in wood shadowbox)
31" x 33" 
2012























(click image to see larger)
Hysteric #1
tissue paper, gouache, graphite, enamel & string on paper (mounted in wood shadowbox)
25" x 30.5"
2012

And finally, Some current inspiration...




Detail of To Drown a Rose by Sojourner Truth Parsons, via White Hotel

Flower Construction #39 by Anne Ten Donkelaar, via her site

Camilla Engman, via her site


No comments:

Post a Comment